- 1 pound US farm-raised catfish fillets, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon grapefruit zest
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turbinado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted and ground cumin
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Put the catfish, grapefruit zest, lime zest, grapefruit juice, and lime juice into a large resealable bag. Put the bag into a leak-proof container and refrigerate for 4 to 8 hours, turning 2 to 3 times, during this time, to evenly distribute the marinade.
Drain the marinade and put the fish into a large serving bowl. Add the tomato, onion, olive oil, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, oregano, salt, sugar, cumin, and avocado and stir gently to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes prior to serving.
Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown, 2010
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine