American Chop Suey
From Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives book. Adapted from a recipe courtesy of Red Arrow Diner.
Note from the owners: Since we were on the Food Network, we have received thousands of e-mails wanting our recipe for American Chop Suey[. Well, Carol has decided to unlock her recipe vault, so here you go!]
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2/3 cup tomato juice
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
1. Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Then add the ground beef and continue to cook, stirring and breaking up the chunks of meat with a spoon. Cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Sprinkle the herbs and pepper over the meat, add salt to taste, and mix in well.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.