Design the perfect brunch: This customizable recipe leads to thousands of possibilities.
1. Make the crust
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pie dough (store-bought or homemade; see foodnetwork.com/piecrust for our favorite recipe) and crimp as desired; chill 30 minutes. Line with foil, then fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until the crust is set, about 20 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and continue baking until lightly golden, 5 to 10 more minutes. Let cool while you prepare the filling.
2. Choose your vegetables
Prepare 1/2 to 1 cup total (choose up to 3). Transfer to a large bowl.
- Asparagus, roasted and chopped
- Broccoli, chopped and roasted or steamed
- Kale, chopped and sautéed (or frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained)
- Jarred roasted peppers or cherry peppers, roughly chopped
- Frozen peas, thawed
- Mushrooms, sliced and sautéed
- Potatoes, shredded and sautéed
- Cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- Radicchio, chopped and sautéed
- Olives, pitted and sliced (use up to 1/4 cup)
- Onions or shallots, sliced and sautéed
- Scallions, chopped
3. Add meat (optional)
Prepare up to 1/2 cup total (choose 1 or 2). Add to the bowl with the vegetables.
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Sausage, cooked and crumbled
- Ham or salami, chopped
- Corned beef or pastrami, chopped
- Rotisserie chicken, shredded
- Crabmeat, picked over
4. Add cheese
Shred or crumble 3/4 to 1 cup total (choose 1 or 2). Add to the bowl with the vegetable mixture and toss.
- Swiss, gruyere or jarlsberg
- Monterey jack or pepper jack
- Gouda (regular, aged or smoked)
- Ricotta salata
- Goat cheese
5. Make the quiche
Whisk 3 eggs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1 1/4 cups heavy cream, half-and-half or milk in a large bowl. If desired, stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, 1/2 teaspoon paprika or chile powder, or some grated lemon zest. Spread the vegetable-cheese mixture in the crust, then pour the egg mixture on top. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake until the filling is set, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Customize your own quiche or try one of our combinations: