- 4 large ripe avocados
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup Mexican crema, recipe follows
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Push the avocados through a fine sieve. Place the avocado puree in a mixing bowl. Add the lime juice. Gradually add the chicken stock, stirring constantly.
When the avocado has been thoroughly blended with the broth, slowly add the crema. The mixture should be smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
Whisk the cream and the buttermilk together in a bowl. Cover and set in a warm place (a gas oven with just the heat from the pilot light is fine) for 8 hours. Crema may be kept in the refrigerator for as long as a week.
- SALSA FRESCA
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded, and finely diced
- 1/4 red onion, minced
- 2 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded if desired, and minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves only, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Stir and toss well. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator no more than 1 day.
Yield: 2 cups