Coconut-Cashew Basmati Rice Salad
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, plus 1 tablespoon for the cashews
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed several times in cold water and drained well
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, halved
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup grated fresh coconut
Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook until soft. Add the drained rice, salt and pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
While the rice is cooking, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a small saute pan over medium heat. Add the cashews and cook until lightly golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Place coconut milk and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the hot liquid to the rice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes. When the rice is cooked, remove from the oven and fold in the green onion, and coconut. Spoon the rice onto a platter and garnish with the toasted cashews.
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay