Crispy Potato Cakes with Farmer Cheese, Scallion, Black Pepper and Kale Chips
- 1 pound kale, stemmed
- Canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Spanish onion
- 2 or 3 russet potatoes (1 pound), peeled, coarsely grated, and squeezed dry 1 large egg, lightly whisked
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fresh farmer cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, dark and pale green parts finely chopped
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Lightly drizzle the kale with canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Lay on a baking sheet in a single layer, and bake until just crisp, 12 to 15 minutes.
Reduce the oven to 250 degrees F.
Meanwhile, mix the onions, potatoes, egg and 3 tablespoons of the flour in a large bowl until combined. If the mixture feels very wet, add a little more of the flour.
Heat 1/2 inch canola oil in a large high-sided saute pan over medium heat until it begins to sizzle. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of the potatoes per pancake into the pan, spreading into a 2-inch round with a fork. Cook until the bottom is browned, about 5 minutes, and then flip and cook 5 minutes more. Transfer to paper towels to drain and season with salt. Keep the pancakes warm on a wire rack set in a shallow baking pan in the oven.
Combine the cheese, parsley and green onions in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.
Place the pancakes on a serving platter or cutting board, top each with a dollop of the cheese, and garnish with the kale chips.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.