- 8 slices sourdough bread, sliced 1-inch thick
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 16 slices fontina, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 red peppers, grilled and cut into 8 pieces
- 4 marinated artichoke hearts, sliced thinly
- 2 cups arugula leaves
Brush both sides of the bread with olive oil. Place 4 slices of bread on a baking sheet and place 2 slices of fontina, 4 slices of pepper, artichokes and arugula on each slice of bread. Top each slice with the remaining 4 slices of bread and grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
Black Olive Mayonnaise:
- 1 cup good quality mayonniase
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup Nicoise olives, pitted
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Serve with sandwiches.