- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon habanero powder
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 red snapper, scaled and gutted
- Escovitch Sauce, recipe follows
Preheat the grill to medium-high. Combine all of the spices in a medium bowl. Set aside half of the spice rub in an airtight container for another use; store at room temperature for up to 6 months.
Rub both sides of the fish with the remaining half of the spice rub. Grill on both sides for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until just cooked through. Remove from the grill and immediately pour the Escovitch sauce over the fish and serve.
1 Spanish onion, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 Scotch bonnet pepper, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups white wine vinegar
3 allspice berries
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat on the grates of the grill or on a burner. Simmer for a couple minutes and then pour over the fish.