Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches with Sherry Vinaigrette and Manchego on Ciabatta
- 3 Japanese eggplants, sliced in 1/2 lengthwise
- 3 red bell peppers
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil, for grilling
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves, plus 2 to 3 tablespoons torn leaves, for garnish
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling bread
- 1 loaf ciabatta, sliced lengthwise
- Sherry Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- 8 slices Manchego cheese
Heat grill to high. Brush eggplant, peppers, and onion and tomato slices with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill eggplant, tomato, and onion on both sides until slightly charred and just cooked through. Grill peppers on all sides until charred, remove from the grill, place in a bag, and let rest 10 minutes. Remove skin from the peppers and cut into 1-inch slices. Cut the eggplant, tomato, and onion into large dice.
Whisk garlic, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, and 1/2 cup olive oil together in a large bowl. Add the cut vegetables to the bowl and let marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Drizzle cut sides of ciabatta with 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and grill, cut side down, for 1 to 2 minutes. Brush grilled bread with some of the Sherry Vinaigrette and then layer on the mixed vegetables and Manchego. Drizzle with more vinaigrette and top with torn parsley. Place other piece of bread on top, wrap sandwich in foil, and place on grill with 2 foil-wrapped bricks on top. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from grill and foil and cut sandwich crosswise into 2-inch thick slices.Sherry Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup aged sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
Whisk all ingredients together in a medium bowl. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay