Mojo Marinated Pork
- 4 1/2 cups fresh orange juice, divided
- 1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 lime, zested
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh oregano, divided
- 12 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder (about 4 to 6-pounds), trimmed of excess fat
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mojo Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
- Plantains with Rum and Brown Sugar, recipe follows
- Mojo Dipping Sauce:
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 serrano chile, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Plantains with Rum and Brown Sugar:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown muscavado sugar
- 3 ripe plantains, peeled and sliced on the bias into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup dark rum
Combine 4 cups of the orange juice and 1 cup of the lime juice and zest in a large saucepan over high heat and reduce to 2 cups. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining orange juice and lime juice add a few cloves of garlic and 1/4 cup of the oregano. Let cool to room temperature.
Using a paring knife, make small slits over the entire surface of the pork and rub the garlic into the slashes. Whisk together the oil and remaining 1/4 cup of the oregano in a large roasting pan, add the pork and turn to coat, cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Remove the pork from the refrigerator 30 minutes before roasting. Season the pork with salt and pepper and cook for 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees F and continue roasting, basting with the marinade during the last 30 minutes of roasting until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reaches 150 degrees F. Remove from the oven, baste with any remaining glaze, tent loosely and let rest 15 minutes before slicing.Mojo Dipping Sauce:
Using a mortar and pestle, mash the garlic, serrano, cilantro and a few pinches of salt until it becomes a paste. Add the orange juice, lime juice and oil and stir to combine.Plantains with Rum and Brown Sugar:
Heat butter in a large saute pan over high heat. Add the sugar and cook until melted. Add the plantains and cook until soft and heated through. Remove pan from the heat, add the rum, return to the heat and cook until the alcohol has reduced.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Asian Marinated Pork Chops, Thick Cut Mustard Marinated Pork Chops with Caramelized Red Onions, Marinated and Grilled Pork Chops with Mixed Herb Chimichurri, Pork Roast Recipes, Smoked Pork Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, Pork Rib Recipes, Pork Chop Recipes, Dinner Recipes