- 4 cups fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon Schezuan peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 whole star anise
- One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, sliced into rounds
Grilled Boneless Short Ribs:
- 2 pound piece boneless beef short rib, sliced across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Green Onion-Peanut Relish:
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped salted peanuts
- 2 green onions, green and pale green part, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- Pinch allspice
- Pinch cinnamon
- Kosher salt
For the orange-ginger glaze: Combine the juice, sugar, tamari, peppercorns, ground pepper, salt, anise and ginger in a saucepan. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half. Strain and cool.
For the grilled boneless short ribs: Toss the ribs with 1/2 cup of the glaze, reserving the remaining glaze. Set aside the ribs at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Prepare the grill for direct grilling at medium-high heat. Remove the ribs from the glaze, shaking off the excess. Brush the ribs with the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the ribs until nicely charred and still pink in the middle, about 3 minutes each side. Brush the ribs occasionally with the reserved glaze.
Transfer the ribs to a platter and top with the green onion-peanut relish.