Yucatan Marinated Chicken Skewers with Peanut-Red Chile Mole Sauce
- Peanut-Red Chile Mole Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 mulato chiles, stems removed
- 3 New Mexican red chiles, stems removed
- 8 cups homemade chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 blue corn tortillas, coarsely chopped
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft. Add the mango, peanuts, sesame seeds, ginger, allspice, and cloves and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the cinnamon, chiles, and stock, and season with salt and pepper; cook for 1 hour. Add the tortillas and cook for another hour.
Remove cinnamon sticks and carefully ladle the hot mixture, in batches, into a blender* and blend until smooth. Strain the sauce through a fine mesh strainer into a clean saucepan and cook until slightly thickened.
*When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.
Yield: approximately 9 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.