- 11/2 cups finely chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons canola or other vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 5 cups water or vegetable stock
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes (about 1 large potato)
- 2 cups chopped callaloo or kale or 3 cups chopped spinach, rinsed and stems removed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sliced okra
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (about 1 large tomato)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup reducedfat coconut milk (optional
In a covered soup pot, saute the onions and garlic in the oil on low heat for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add the ginger, turmeric, coriander, thyme, and allspice and saute for another minute, stirring to prevent sticking.
Stir in the water or stock, add the sweet potatoes, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes, then stir in the callaloo or kale. (If you are using spinach, do not add it yet.) Add the okra and simmer for another 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, lime juice, salt and spinach, if you are using it, and cook for another 3 or 4 minutes, until all of the vegetables are tender. Add more salt or lime juice to taste and stir in the coconut milk, if you like.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.