Cold Paella Salad
- 1 small whole chicken (about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds), cut into 8 pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, de-veined, and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, de-veined, and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 1/2 pound chorizo, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 pound mussels, cleaned and de-bearded
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Fresh Herb Vinaigrette, recipe follows
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Season chicken pieces generously with salt and pepper. Add oil to a large, heavy, oven-safe skillet and heat over high heat. When oil is almost smoking, carefully add chicken to pan and sear until almost cooked through; remove chicken from pan and set aside. Add shrimp to oil and sear until almost done; remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
Add more oil if needed, reduce the heat to medium, and then saute the onions and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes; do not let onions and garlic brown. Add bell peppers and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add saffron and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chorizo and brown for 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook for about 5 minutes. Add rice, and stir until the rice is well coated, about 1 minute. Add stock, return the chicken and shrimp to the pan, and add mussels and peas.
Transfer skillet to the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and drizzle vinaigrette over. Refrigerate and serve chilled or at room temperature. If serving at room temperature, refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving and then bring to room temperature.Fresh Herb Vinaigrette:
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1/4 cup minced chives
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Put chopped herbs in a medium bowl. Add garlic and vinegar. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Whisk in olive oil until combined. Set aside until paella is ready.