Crawfish Beignets with Spicy Remoulade
Recipe courtesy Debbie Martin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and chopped crawfish tails
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 3 dashes hot sauce (recommended: Louisiana, Tabasco or your favorite)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups water or shrimp/seafood stock
- Canola or peanut oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Creole mustard
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped capers
- 2 green onions, chopped (green and white part)
Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the lemon zest, garlic, crawfish, parsley and hot sauce. Mix gently to combine. Add the water or stock slowly until a loose dough is formed. Set aside for 15 minutes.
In a deep-fryer or heavy-bottomed pot, heat enough canola or peanut oil to come halfway up the sides of the pot, to 350 degrees F.
Spoon 1 heaping teaspoon dough into hot oil and cook in batches until deep golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt while still hot. Let temperature of oil return to 350 degrees F between batches.
Whisk the mayonnaise, mustard, horseradish, lemon juice, salt, pepper and cayenne together in a medium bowl until well blended. Stir in the parsley, capers and green onions and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Transfer the beignets to a serving platter and serve with the remoulade sauce.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.