- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or more as needed, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dark Asian sesame oil
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 to 15 grinds black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- Paprika, for garnish
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
In a blender combine all the ingredients except the parsley and paprika to be used for garnish. Blend on low speed until smooth. You'll have to stop the blender often to push down the ingredients. If the mixture is too dry and you're having trouble blending it, add a few more tablespoons of olive oil to help things along.
Scrape the hummus onto a plate. Sprinkle the paprika over the top, drizzle lightly with olive oil, scatter some parsley on top, and serve. You can make the hummus up to a couple of hours before you serve it. Cover the top with plastic wrap and leave it at room temperature.
Per Tablespoon: Calories: 57; Total Fat: 4 grams; Saturated Fat: 0.5 grams; Protein: 1 gram; Total carbohydrates: 5 grams; Sugar: 0 grams; Fiber: 1 gram; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 96 milligrams
Recipe courtesy of Dave Lieberman