Philly-style Kielbasa with Fennel Kraut and Peppers
- For the kraut:
- 1 head white cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon whole fennel seeds
- For the kielbasa:
- 2 quarts water
- 2 (12-ounce) bottles lager (recommended: Yuengling)
- 3 (1-pound) Polish-style sausage kielbasa, each cut into 4 pieces (recommended: Hillshire Farms)
- For the peppers:
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 red pepper, seeded, cored, and sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 green pepper, seeded, cored, and sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips
Combine all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a simmer, over medium-low heat, cover, and cook for 1 hour, stirring a couple times.
Combine water and beer in a large pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Slip in sausages and cook 15 to 20 minutes.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. When oil is hot, add pepper slices, sprinkle generously with salt, and saute until wilted and lightly colored, about 8 minutes, stirring often.
Serve kielbasas with the kraut and peppers.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.