- 1 small yellow onion, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 links raw spicy Italian sausage, skin sliced lengthwise and sausage removed from casings in 1 piece
- 6 slices provolone cheese, preferably smoked
- 2 (8-inch) hoagie rolls
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup marinara sauce
In a large skillet or flat griddle over medium-high heat, saute the onions and peppers in butter for several minutes until softened.
Place sausages on the griddle or in the skillet next to the peppers and onions. Flatten slightly to the length of your hoagie roll.
Cook sausages for approximately 4 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 155 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
Place half of the peppers and onions on top of 2 sausage links placed side by side and top with 3 slices of provolone cheese. Repeat for second sandwich. Wait for cheese to slightly melt. Pick up sausage and peppers from underneath with a metal spatula and place in hoagie roll. Season with salt and pepper and serve with a side of warm marinara sauce. Enjoy!
* Professional Recipe
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.