Rhode Island Style Clam Chowder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices Canadian bacon (about 2 ounces), chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 3 stalks)
- 4 cups red bliss potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cups chopped clams*
- 2 cups clam juice*
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Water, to cover
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over a medium-high heat. Add the Canadian bacon, onions and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 6 minutes. Add the potatoes, clams, clam juice, thyme and water, to cover. Bring to a boil, and simmer until potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
* Can use clams and clam juice from 2 (1-pound) containers of frozen chopped clams in natural juice, thawed.
Recipe Analysis Note: Recipe Analysis Note: Ingredients without discrete measurements such as "Salt, to taste" or "Ice cream, optional" are omitted from analysis. This is because amounts can be highly variable and difficult to determine.