- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 pint shucked oysters and their liquor
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 cups 1-inch cubes French bread or homemade-style white bread
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 11-inch baking pan with the butter and set aside.
Drain the oysters, reserving the oyster liquor. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, celery, salt, and cayenne and saute for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the bay leaves, garlic, and parsley, and saute for 1 minute. Add the water and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the green onions, oyster liquor, and the bread cubes. Stir to mix well, and remove from the heat.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread and vegetable mixture with the oysters and cheese. Stir with a wooden spoon to mix thoroughly. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan and bake for 1 hour, or until bubbly and golden brown.
Remove the bay leaves before serving.