Emeril's Kicked Up Kale Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup sliced red onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds chorizo sausage, sliced in 1/2-inch slices
- 3 quarts chicken/ beef stock
- 4 cups kale, rinsed, stemmed, and cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound diced new potatoes
- 6 tablespoons chiffonade fresh mint leaves
- Small loaf crusty bread
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the bay leaves, crushed red pepper flakes, and onions. Saute the mixture for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chorizo, stock and kale and bring the liquid up to a boil. Stir in the Essence and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Reduce the heat to a simmer, add the potatoes and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and skim off any fat. Ladle the soup into shallow bowls and garnish with the fresh mint. Serve the soup with crusty bread.
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William Morrow, 1993.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.