- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds boneless beef shank, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 pound boneless lamb shoulder, trimmed of excess fat
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 4 cloves peeled garlic
- 1 medium fresh hot red pepper, quartered
- Water, to cover
- 1 (3 to 4 pound) whole chicken or hen, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups medium diced carrots
- 1 cup medium diced green bell peppers
- 1 pound baking potatoes, like russets, peeled and medium diced
- 2 cups peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, strings removed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Serving suggestions:
- 8 fresh cornbread muffins, hot
- 8 fresh biscuits, hot
In a large, heavy pot, over medium heat, add the oil. Season the beef and lamb with salt and pepper. When the oil is hot, sear the meat, in batches, for a couple of minutes on all sides.
Add the onions, garlic, cloves, and pepper. Cover with water. (about 3 to 4 quarts). Bring to boil, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer until tender, about 3 hours.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. During the last 1 1/2 hours of cooking, add the chicken. Remove the meat, chicken and vegetables from the pan, set aside and cool. Discard the vegetables. Add the remaining vegetables and brown sugar to the pot of hot liquid.
Continue to cook for 1 hour.
After the meat has cooled, cube the beef and lamb into 1-inch pieces. Remove the skin and bones from the chicken and discard. Dice the chicken into 1-inch pieces. Add the cubed meat and chicken to the vegetables, continue to cook for 30 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.