Asian Pork with Noodles
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 2 -inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced
- 6 to 8 whole dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 pound soba or ramen noodles
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts, sliced
- 2 Fresno chile peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
Season the pork with salt and pepper. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat with the vegetable oil. Add the pork and brown on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Combine the broth, soy sauce, sherry, sugar, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, star anise and cinnamon stick in a 5-quart slow cooker. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then add the garlic, ginger and mushrooms. Add the pork, cover and program to cook 4 hours on high, then 2 hours on low, or 6 hours total on low.
Transfer the pork to a platter, cover and let rest 15 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the broth and halve them, then return to the broth.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the noodles as the label directs. Slice the pork. Divide the noodles among bowls and top with some of the broth and mushrooms and a few slices of pork. Garnish with the water chestnuts, chiles, scallions and cilantro.
Photograph by Kana Okada
More Recipes and Ideas:
Asian Marinated Pork Tenderloin, Asian-Style Pork and Vegetable Noodles, Asian 5 Spice Barbecued Pork Tenderloins with Mango Citrus Salsa and Scallion Frankie Wraps, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Enchilada Recipes, Easy Slow Cooking, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Pork Recipes, Dinner Parties Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.