Black Bean Soup
- 1 pound black beans, picked over, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 large smoked ham hocks, about 1-1/2 pounds
- 9 cups water or homemade chicken stock
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- Optional serving garnishes: Sour cream or creme fraiche, finely chopped hard cooked egg, or 1 minced scallion
Put the beans in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by 2-inches. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes; remove from the heat, cover and set aside for 1 hour. Drain and reserve.
In a large soup pot heat the butter or oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and carrots, and saute until wilted and golden, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and saute for 3 minutes more. Add the beans, hocks, water or stock, and bring to a simmer. Cover, adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cook until beans and meat are tender, about 1-1/2 hours.
Turn the soup off. Remove the hocks from the soup, set aside to cool. Remove the meat from the hocks, discarding the bones, fat and skin. Cut the meat into small cubes and reserve. Puree the soup, with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. Simmer the soup with the reserved meat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add the sherry. To serve, divide the soup among warmed bowls, and top with one or more of the garnishes, if desired.
Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
More Recipes and Ideas:
Black Bean Soup with Mojo, Oxtail and Black Bean Soup with Grilled Spiny Lobster, Tomato Jam and Fried Plantains, Ribollita (Vegetable, Bean and Stale Bread Soup), Garlic Chicken Recipes, Appetizer Recipes , Chicken Soup Recipes, Potato Soup Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, Easy Appetizer Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.