Braised Red Cabbage
- 4 slices bacon, thinly sliced
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 large or 2 small heads red cabbage (about 3 pounds), cored and thinly sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into bite size pieces
- 2 to 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cook the bacon until crisp, over medium heat in a large Dutch, that has a lid, about 4 minutes. Add the onions, cinnamon, bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, about 8 minutes.
Increase the heat to medium-high, add the cabbage and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 8 minutes. Add the apple, broth, vinegar, sugar, the remaining salt, and pepper, and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender, about 1 hour.
Uncover; bring to a boil, and cook, stirring, until the liquid has reduced to a sauce-like consistency, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and serve.
Copyright (c) 2004 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved.