- 4 cups water or chicken broth, homemade or low sodium canned
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups grits (not instant)
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 3 to 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs beaten (optional)
- Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
In a medium saucepan, combine the water or broth, milk, salt, and cayenne and bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in the grits and lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes.
Stir in the cheese and butter until evenly incorporated. Season with pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Cook's Note: For Baked Grits: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cool the grits slightly, stir in the 3 beaten eggs. Transfer grits to a buttered deep casserole dish, smooth the top with a rubber spatula, and bake until just set and lightly browned, about 1 hour.
Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.