Chicken and Waffles
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 8 chicken tenders (about 1 pound)
- 3/4 cup instant flour (such as Wondra)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 scallions, sliced, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 buttermilk or Belgian-style frozen waffles
- Maple syrup, for serving
Heat about 1 inch of oil in a large cast-iron or heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat. Whisk the hot sauce and egg in a medium bowl; toss the chicken in the mixture to coat.
Combine the flour, poultry seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Set aside 3 tablespoons seasoned flour in a separate bowl; dredge the chicken in the remaining seasoned flour until coated, shaking off any excess.
Place the chicken in the hot oil and fry until golden and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side, turning once. Transfer to a rack to cool slightly; discard the oil.
Melt the butter in the same skillet and whisk in the reserved seasoned flour until smooth. Whisk in the scallions, then slowly pour in the broth. Bring to a simmer, whisking until the gravy is smooth. Meanwhile, toast the waffles.
Per serving: Calories 865; Fat 68 g (Sat. 15 g; Mono. 18 g; Poly. 33 g); Cholesterol 150 mg; Sodium 677 mg; Carbohydrate 32 g; Fiber 1 g; Protein 34 g
Photography by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Fried Chicken and Waffles Stack with Iceberg Salad and Garlicky Ranch Aioli, Chicken and Kellogg's® Eggo® Waffle Appetizer Bites, Crispy Chicken and Scallion Waffle Sandwich, Easy Mexican, Mexican Chicken Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Jerk Chicken Recipes, Baked Chicken Recipes, Easy Roasting