Fish Sandwiches With Jalapeno Slaw
- 1 cup milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 5 -to-6-ounce tilapia fillets
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos and 1/2 to 1 tablespoon juice from the can
- Vegetable or peanut oil, for frying
- 3 cups thinly sliced iceberg lettuce (about 1/2 small head)
- 4 soft hoagie rolls, split and toasted
Put the milk in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the fish and set aside to soak until ready to fry. Put the cornmeal in a baking dish and add 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
Combine the scallions, mayonnaise, mustard, jalapenos and 1/2 tablespoon pickling juice in a bowl. Heat about 2 inches vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F. Remove 2 fillets from the milk, shaking off the excess, and dredge in cornmeal to coat. Carefully lower into the oil and fry until golden and just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt. Repeat with the remaining fillets.
Toss the lettuce with the jalapeno dressing and season with salt, pepper and more pickling juice, if desired. Divide the fish and slaw among the rolls.
Per serving: Calories 632; Fat 32 g (Saturated 6 g); Cholesterol 103 mg; Sodium 948 mg; Carbohydrate 48 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 38 g
Thank you! your flag was submitted.