Fried Green Tomatoes With Shrimp Remoulade
- For the Remoulade:
- 1/4 cup Creole mustard (or other spicy mustard)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon minced onion
- 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped scallion (green part only)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Hot sauce, to taste
- For the Shrimp:
- Kosher salt
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails intact)
- For the Tomatoes:
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 8 thick slices green tomatoes (1/4 to 1/3 inch thick)
Make the remoulade: Mix the mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, lemon juice, paprika, white pepper, cayenne and sugar in a large bowl; season with salt. Whisk in the olive oil in a slow stream until blended. Whisk in the celery, parsley, onion, scallion, mayonnaise and hot sauce. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Prepare the shrimp: Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a large pot. Add 3 tablespoons salt, the lemon slices, hot sauce, bay leaves, carrot and Worcestershire sauce; boil 10 to 15 minutes. Add the shrimp and return to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the shrimp are opaque and just firm, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain the shrimp and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Discard the carrot, lemon slices and bay leaves. Cover the shrimp and refrigerate until cold.
Fry the tomatoes: Mix the cornmeal, 1/4 teaspoon salt and teaspoon black pepper in a shallow dish. Put the buttermilk in another shallow dish. Heat the vegetable oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Dip the tomato slices in the buttermilk, then coat with the cornmeal, shaking off the excess. Fry until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
Place 2 fried tomato slices on each plate. Top with the shrimp and drizzle with the remoulade.
Photograph by Lisa Shin
Thank you! your flag was submitted.