Greek Yogurt Onion Dip
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
For this low-calorie, low-fat dip, we slowly cook the shallots with vinegar, which lets us skip using mayonnaise while maximizing flavor[. Slather any leftovers on a roast beef or turkey sandwich.]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped shallots (about 2 large shallots; 1/3 pound)
- Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup 2-percent Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup 1-percent milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cut-up vegetable sticks, low-salt pretzels or pita chips, for serving
Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent and soft, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of water and the balsamic vinegar, reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are browned and caramelized, 12 to 15 minutes.
Combine the shallots, yogurt, milk, chives, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl and stir until blended. Cover and chill for 30 minutes before serving. The dip will keep, refrigerated, overnight.
Copyright 2013 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
From Food Network Kitchens