Green Salad with Warm Tomato Dressing
- 1/4 baguette, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 head red-leaf lettuce, torn
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Make the croutons: Toss the bread cubes with 1 tablespoon olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the dressing: Heat the remaining 1/3 cup olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and tomatoes and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Toss the lettuce in a large bowl. Pour the warm dressing on top, add the croutons and gently toss. Top with the blue cheese.
Photograph by David Malosh
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen