Green Salad with Warm Tomato Dressing
- 1/4 baguette, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 head red-leaf lettuce, torn
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Make the croutons: Toss the bread cubes with 1 tablespoon olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the dressing: Heat the remaining 1/3 cup olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and tomatoes and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Toss the lettuce in a large bowl. Pour the warm dressing on top, add the croutons and gently toss. Top with the blue cheese.
Photograph by David Malosh
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine