Grilled Chicken Parmesan
- 1 10 -inch piece baguette
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes (about 5), quartered
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 4 6 -ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Cut off a 1 1/2-inch piece of the baguette and pulse in a food processor to make breadcrumbs. Add the tomatoes and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pulse until the tomatoes are finely chopped but not pureed. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat; add the garlic and cook until just golden, about 1 minute. Add the red pepper flakes and tomato mixture and bring to a simmer; cook until the sauce thickens slightly, 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat a grill to medium high. Toss the chicken with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, the oregano and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Split the remaining baguette in half lengthwise and then cut in half to make 4 pieces.
Grill the bread, cut-side down, until lightly toasted. Grill the chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side, topping with the mozzarella and covering during the last 2 minutes.
Spoon some tomato sauce onto the bread pieces and top with half of the parmesan. Top each with a chicken breast, then the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with basil and the remaining parmesan.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine