Grilled Marinated Leg of Lamb with Asparagus and Mint Chimichurri
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Lamb and mint are a classic combination that doesn't need to be messed with, but the chimichurri sauce in this recipe is a fun riff on these[ spring staples.]
- 9 cloves garlic, 7 minced and 2 whole
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 (6-pound) boneless leg of lamb
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- 2 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 cups fresh mint leaves
1. Stir together the 7 minced garlic cloves, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper in a large bowl. Rub the marinade all over the lamb in a bowl, then truss tightly and marinate at least 3 hours in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat a grill for direct and indirect cooking over a medium-heat fire. Grill the lamb over direct heat until nicely charred, about 8 minutes per side, turning often. Then move to indirect heat, cover, and cook until the internal temperature reaches 125 degrees F for medium-rare, about 50 minutes, turning occasionally. Transfer the lamb to a cutting board and let rest 15 minutes.
3. Toss the asparagus with the 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, and pepper. Grill the asparagus until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
4. Pulse the remaining 2 whole garlic cloves in a food processor with the parsley, mint, the remaining 1/2 cup oil, the remaining 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Serve the lamb, sliced, with the asparagus and chimichurri sauce.
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2011 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved