Hazelnut-Crusted Lamb Chops
- For the crust:
- 3/4 cup blanched hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt
- For the salad and lamb:
- 1 pound carrots, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Large pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons extra- virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted dates
- 10 cups mixed spring greens
- 1 large head frisee, torn
- 12 lamb rib chops, bones frenched
Make the crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, tossing, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a food processor. Toast the sesame seeds in a small skillet over medium heat until golden, tossing, about 5 minutes. Add to the processor along with the coriander, cumin, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt; pulse until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Transfer to a shallow bowl.
Make the salad: Set a steamer basket over a saucepan filled with 1 inch of water; bring the water to a boil. Add the carrots, cover and steam until fork-tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the parsley, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, cayenne, 2 tablespoons of the hazelnut crust mixture, 1 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to taste in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in 2/3 cup olive oil. Add the steamed carrots and toss; cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
Add the feta and dates to the carrot mixture, season with salt and black pepper and toss. Add the mixed greens and frisee but do not toss.
Pat the lamb chops dry and season with salt and black pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; add the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil. Working in 2 batches, position the chops snugly in the skillet with the fatty edge down (the bones will curve); cook until browned on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the chops and cook on the flat sides until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Dredge each cooked chop in the hazelnut crust.
Toss the salad and divide among plates. Serve with the lamb chops.
Photograph by Con Poulos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.