Italian Sub Salad
- 3 cups bread cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/3 cups giardiniera (Italian pickled vegetables), drained and chopped, plus 2 tablespoons brine from the jar
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/2 cup sliced pitted Cerignola olives (black and green)
- 1/2 cup chopped jarred Peppadew peppers
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 ounces sliced mortadella, cut into thin strips
- 2 ounces sliced prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- 1 ounce sliced capicola, cut into thin strips
- 1 ounce sliced Genoa salami or hot soppressata, cut into thin strips
- 1 2 -ounce piece aged provolone, shaved with a vegetable peeler
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss the bread cubes and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet and bake, tossing occasionally, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool.
Meanwhile, toss the giardiniera in a large bowl with the basil, olives, peppers, romaine, mortadella, prosciutto, capicola, salami, provolone and the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Drizzle with the giardiniera brine and toss. Let sit about 20 minutes to let the flavors combine.
Add the croutons to the salad and toss. Divide among bowls.
Photograph by Con Poulos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.