Jay's Potato-Crusted Fish with Mango Salsa
- For the Salsa:
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- For the Fish:
- 1 cup instant mashed potatoes
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 6 -ounce skinless striped bass fillets
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Make the salsa: Mix the mango, jalapeno, onion, lime juice, cilantro and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl; fold in the olive oil. Prepare the fish: Mix the instant potatoes, lime zest, cayenne, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a shallow dish. Beat the eggs in another dish. Season the flour with salt and black pepper in a third dish. Dredge each fish fillet in the seasoned flour, dip in the eggs, then coat completely with the potato mixture.
Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, place the fish curved-side down in the pan; cook until golden brown and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and cook until golden on the other side, about 3 more minutes. Top with the salsa and more cilantro.
Photograph by Tina Rupp
Thank you! your flag was submitted.