Pinto Bean Salsa Salad
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 1/2 limes, juiced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/3 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears)
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small Hass avocado, halved, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, leaves and stems
Make the dressing: Smash the garlic clove, sprinkle with a pinch of the salt, and, with the flat side of a large knife, mash and smear the mixture to a coarse paste. Whisk the garlic paste, lime juice, remaining salt and chili powder together in a bowl. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a steady stream.
For the salad: Toss together the beans, corn, bell pepper, and onions. Add the dressing and toss to coat evenly. Gently fold in the tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
Copyright (c) 2004 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved.