Quinoa and Braised Kale with Toasted Hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large bunch kale (1-pound), leaves trimmed and chopped (8 ounces, 6 cups)
- 2 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups peeled, cubed winter squash, turnip, or combination of both (about 12 ounces)
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups quinoa
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped, for topping
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the garlic and pepper flakes and cook until the garlic begins to brown, 2 minutes. Add the kale, tossing well. Add 1 cup broth and 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook until wilted, 5 minutes. Add the squash, season with salt and reduce heat to a simmer. Continue to cook, covered, until the kale and squash are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Uncover and stir in the vinegar.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat add the quinoa, remaining 1 3/4 cups broth, and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, gently stirring once or twice, until the quinoa is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
3. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and then stir in the chopped parsley, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and season with salt.
4. To serve, top the quinoa with the braised kale and squash and their juices and sprinkle with the toasted chopped hazelnuts.
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved