Quinoa and Braised Kale with Toasted Hazelnuts
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large bunch kale (1-pound), leaves trimmed and chopped (8 ounces, 6 cups)
- 2 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups peeled, cubed winter squash, turnip, or combination of both (about 12 ounces)
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups quinoa
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped, for topping
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the garlic and pepper flakes and cook until the garlic begins to brown, 2 minutes. Add the kale, tossing well. Add 1 cup broth and 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook until wilted, 5 minutes. Add the squash, season with salt and reduce heat to a simmer. Continue to cook, covered, until the kale and squash are tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Uncover and stir in the vinegar.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat add the quinoa, remaining 1 3/4 cups broth, and 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, gently stirring once or twice, until the quinoa is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
3. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and then stir in the chopped parsley, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and season with salt.
4. To serve, top the quinoa with the braised kale and squash and their juices and sprinkle with the toasted chopped hazelnuts.