Sausage and Kraut
- 1 1 -pound bag sauerkraut, rinsed
- 8 small fingerling or red-skinned potatoes, halved if large
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 ounces turkey kielbasa or chicken sausage, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 6 -ounce boneless smoked pork chop, trimmed and sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries (available in the spice aisle), crushed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 apple, grated
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Whole-grain mustard, for serving
Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Prick the sausages with a fork and add to the pot along with the pork; cook until browned on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn the meats and add the onion, garlic, coriander, juniper berries, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the onion is golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add the apple and cook 2 more minutes.
Drain the sauerkraut, then add to the pot along with the wine and 1 cup water. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, then uncover and cook until thickened, about 5 more minutes. Transfer the sauerkraut, meats and potatoes to a platter. Top with the parsley and serve with mustard.
Per serving: Calories 417; Fat 14 g (Saturated 3 g); Cholesterol 90 mg; Sodium 1,382 mg; Carbohydrate 33 g; Fiber 7 g; Protein 29 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.