- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 15 -ounce cans pinto beans (do not drain)
- 1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sliced scallions and diced avocado, for topping (optional)
Mix the tomato paste and coffee in a small bowl; set aside. Toss the meat with the chili powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in the beans (with their liquid), the coffee mixture and the tortilla chips.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on low until the beef is tender, 8 hours. Season with salt. Serve the chili with the rice; top with cheese, scallions and avocado.
Per serving: Calories 414; Fat 14 g (Saturated 5 g); Cholesterol 75 mg; Sodium 719 mg; Carbohydrate 40 g; Fiber 7 g; Protein 30 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos