Warm Kale Antipasto Salad
- 2 red onions, halved and sliced
- 2 small Japanese eggplants, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 12 baby bell peppers (any color), halved
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 5 -ounce package baby kale or 8 cups chopped kale leaves
- 1 romaine lettuce heart, chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 crusty whole-wheat roll, cubed
- 2 ounces deli-sliced soppressata or salami (about 8 slices), cut into strips
- 2 ounces pecorino romano cheese, shaved
Preheat the broiler. Arrange the red onions, eggplant, bell peppers and tomatoes on a baking sheet; drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil, turning halfway through, until the vegetables are soft and slightly charred, about 12 minutes. Combine the kale and romaine in a large bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the vinegar. Add the broiled vegetables and toss.
Make the croutons: Spread the bread cubes on the same baking sheet, season with salt and pepper and broil until golden, turning once, 1 to 2 minutes.
Divide the salad among bowls. Top with the soppressata, pecorino and croutons, drizzle with olive oil and gently toss.
Per serving: Calories 448; Fat 25 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 29 mg; Sodium 666 mg; Carbohydrate 45 g; Fiber 11 g; Protein 17 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Thank you! your flag was submitted.