Western Hash Brown Omelet
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces thickly sliced deli ham, diced
- 2 bell peppers (1 red, 1 green), diced
- 1 onion, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash browns (from a 1-pound bag; do not thaw)
- 4 ounces smoked gouda cheese, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
Beat the eggs in a large bowl until foamy. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ham, bell peppers, onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and starting to brown, about 6 minutes; add to the bowl with the eggs.
Preheat the broiler. Wipe out the skillet and return to medium-high heat. Melt the butter in the skillet, then add the frozen hash browns in an even layer. Cook, pressing the hash browns into the bottom and up the side of the skillet with a spatula, until golden on the bottom, about 6 minutes.
Pour the egg mixture over the hash browns. Transfer the skillet to the broiler; cook until partially set, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese and all but about 2 tablespoons scallions over the eggs. Continue broiling until the cheese melts and the eggs are set, 2 to 3 more minutes.
Per serving: Calories 474; Fat 30 g (Saturated 13 g); Cholesterol 490 mg; Sodium 914 mg; Carbohydrate 26 g; Fiber 7 g; Protein 28 g
Photograph by Justin Walker
Thank you! your flag was submitted.