Whole-Grain Breakfast Porridge
- 1/2 cup red or wild rice
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/4 cup pearl barley or farro
- 1/2 cup farina or wheat cereal
- 1 2 -inch piece orange peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 to 2 tablespoons packed dark or light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dried fruit ( cranberries, cherries, raisins and/or chopped apricots)
- Chopped nuts, maple syrup and/or milk, for serving (optional)
Close the cooker, set the timer and program for the porridge cycle so that breakfast is ready at the desired time. (If you don't have a porridge setting on your rice cooker, program for 50 to 55 minutes.
Serve the warm porridge with nuts, syrup and/or milk, if desired.
Photograph by Kana Okada
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine