Whole Wheat Spinach Mac n Cheese with Broiled Tomatoes
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
From Food Network Kitchens
The pumpkin puree in the mac n cheese adds fiber, as well as body and color, so less cheese is needed
- Total Time:
- 45 min
- 10 min
- 10 min
- 25 min
- 4 servings
- 8 ounces whole-grain medium shell pasta
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- One 12-ounce can nonfat evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar
- 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups baby spinach (about 3 ounces)
- 2 cups grapes
Preheat the broiler to high.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the shells and cook according to package directions. Drain, reserving some of the pasta water and set aside.
Meanwhile, arrange the tomatoes, cut-side up, on baking sheet and broil until wrinkled and soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Combine the breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon of the oil and the Italian seasoning. Sprinkle over the tomatoes. Continue to broil until golden brown, about 1 minute.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and garlic, stirring until the flour turns light brown, about 1 minute. Add the pumpkin puree and evaporated milk, bring to a simmer, stirring, and cook until sauce just begins to bubble and thickens, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the Cheddar, mozzarella and Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt and some pepper. Stir until melted, about 1 minute.
Add the spinach and stir until wilted, about 1 minute. Add the cooked pasta and stir until coated, thin out with the reserved pasta water as desired. Divide the mac n cheese, tomatoes and grapes among four plates.
Per serving: Calories 640; Fat 11 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 15 mg; Sodium 640 mg; Carbohydrate 79 g; Protein 27 g; Fiber 6 g; Sugar 28 g
Thank you! your flag was submitted.