Winter Fruit Salad
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1 -inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out
- 1 lemon
- 5 large navel or blood oranges
- 2 mangoes, peeled and diced
- 2 firm bananas, peeled and diced
- 5 kiwis, peeled and diced
- 12 kumquats, very thinly sliced crosswise, seeds removed
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (from 1 pomegranate)
Combine the sugar, 2 cups water, the ginger and vanilla seeds and pod in a saucepan. Use a vegetable peeler to remove wide strips of zest from the lemon and 1 orange, add to the saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes. Refrigerate until cold.
Meanwhile, peel the remaining oranges with a paring knife, cutting along the natural curve of the fruit. Hold an orange over a large bowl and cut along both sides of each membrane to free the segments, letting them fall into the bowl. Squeeze each empty membrane to release the juices. Repeat with the remaining oranges. Add the mangoes, bananas, kiwis, kumquats and pomegranate seeds and gently toss. Pour the syrup over the fruit and chill overnight.
Before serving, remove the citrus zest, ginger and vanilla pod. Spoon the fruit and syrup into bowls.
Photograph by Con Poulos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.