Fresh Plum Tomato Sauce
- 10 to 12 fresh plum tomatoes (approximately 2 to 2 1/2 pounds)
- 4 ounces extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional extra-virgin olive oil, optional
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly chopped parsley leaves
Peel tomatoes by scoring the skin of each tomato with a sharp knife (do not cut too deep). Then, place scored tomatoes into a pot of boiling water and boil for approximately 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Remove tomatoes and plunge into cold water. Peel and dice tomatoes and set aside.
Heat olive oil in a saucepan. When hot, add garlic and crushed red pepper. Saute until garlic turns slightly golden. Add chopped onion and saute an additional 2 1/2 minutes.
Add chopped plum tomatoes and cook approximately 5 minutes. Add salt to taste. Add chopped parsley and extra virgin olive oil if desired, just before using.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Talluto's