Frijoles Borrachos: Drunken Beans
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 2 whole tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 pickled jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 2 quarts water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Wash the beans thoroughly in cold water, discarding any stones or rotten beans.
Place the beans in a wide, short saucepot (rondeau), and cover with water by 2 inches. Cook for 30 minutes, and then, add the tomatoes, onions, jalapeno, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, and beer. Cook until the beans are tender, about another 30 minutes.
With a potato masher, crush the beans, to thicken the bean liquid. Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy of Aaron Sanchez