Garbanzo, Pineapple, Panela (or Piloncillo), and Canela Topping
- 1/2 pound dried garbanzos (chickpeas)
- 1 1/2 cups panela (cane sugar) or piloncillo
- 1 (4-inch) stick canela (cinnamon)
- 1 cup roughly chopped pineapple
- Serving suggestions: a topping for rice pudding, ice cream, or cake
Soak the garbanzo beans in 2 quarts of water for 12 hours, then drain.
Add 2 quarts fresh water to the pot with the garbanzos. Bring to a boil and boil for 30 minutes.
To another pot, add 2 quarts of water. Add the panela, canela, and pineapple, bring to a boil, and cook for 1 hour, stirring constantly.
Drain the beans when tender, and set aside to cool. When cool, remove each individual skin from each bean, this process can be time consuming.
While the panela combination is still hot, fold in the garbanzos. Serve hot on top of rice pudding, ice cream, or cake.
Recipe courtesy of Aaron Sanchez