Gazpacho Without the Tomatoes
- 3 1 inch thick slices French bread, crusts removed
- Cold water
- 2 ounces blanched whole almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 3 kirby cucumbers, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons Champagne or rice vinegar
- Pinch sugar
- 1 to 2 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups (more or less) iced cold water
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Garnish: seeded finely diced cucumber, chives and finely diced seeded red bell pepper
Soak the slices of bread in cold water. When tender, squeeze the bread to express the water. In a food processor puree until smooth the almonds, pepper, cucumbers, vinegar, sugar, scallions and olive oil. Slowly add the ice water until you reach the consistency you like; season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill, covered, until serving time; garnish with cucumber, chives and bell pepper.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.