Lemony Shrimp and Risotto
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice (about 6 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus extra as needed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 3 cups arugula
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add the shrimp and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Cook until the shrimp are just opaque in the center, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Transfer the shrimp and juices to a bowl to cool.
Add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil to the pan. Add the fennel and onions. Cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic, 30 seconds. Add the rice. Stir until well coated and translucent in spots, about 2 minutes. Add the wine. Cook until the wine is absorbed, stirring often, about 2 minutes. Add the broth, lemon juice, zest, and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the rice is just tender but still has some bite and the risotto is creamy, stirring often, 13 to 14 minutes.
Spoon the risotto into 4 shallow soup bowls.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis